What we do

We work to enhance public protection, advance healthcare regulation and to provide expertise and leadership on health and related public policy.

Learn more

News and Events


New AFRHP Website

January 19, 2022


The Alberta Federation of Regulated Health Professions is pleased to provide resources and training for use by our member colleges.

Learn more

Get help

Do you have concerns about a health professional? Get help.

If you have a question or concern about the conduct of your regulated healthcare provider, you should discuss it with the practitioner in question directly. Immediate and direct communication can resolve misunderstandings quickly and easily.

Making a formal complaint.

We take concerns and complaints about the conduct of healthcare professionals very seriously. To make a formal complaint contact the College responsible for that practitioner. A list of Colleges, including links to their website, is available here.

What to expect when a complaint is made.

Colleges investigate complaints. Disciplinary committees made up of members of the profession as well as public members appointed by government. If standards were not met or a practitioner behaved improperly, the College has the authority to take a variety of corrective or disciplinary actions to help ensure the situation isn’t repeated.

Actions taken will depend on the nature and severity of the situation. Some examples of disciplinary actions include:

  • formal reprimands; 
  • imposing conditions on a practitioner’s license (e.g., must practice under supervision);
  • ordering the practitioner to complete specialized programs/course; 
  • imposing fines and the ability to suspend or terminate the professionals license to practice.

What Colleges don’t have the authority to do is compensate the complainant. All concerns and complaints are treated confidentially, within a process designed to ensure fairness to both the person making the allegation and the practitioner in question.

Information about sexual abuse and sexual misconduct complaints.

If you believe you have experienced sexual abuse or misconduct by a regulated health professional, there is support for you. Please read this information pamphlet  to learn more on how you can get help.

What happens if I still need help?

If a College does not resolve your complaint to your satisfaction you can contact Alberta’s ombudsman. If your complaint is about a hospital, wait times or the Alberta health care system, please contact Alberta Health.

Career Opportunities

Explore job positions available at AFRHP Member Regulator Colleges.